Assignment 5: Simon Says DRAW…
*This could be used as a game or an assignment by researching a particular artist and creating prompts based on that artist.
Step 1: Tell artists: Today we are going to play a game called Simon Says Draw… Raise your hand if you know the rules to Simon says? If everyone participates and tries their best, I may call on some of you to be “Simon.”
If you are choosing to research artists beforehand and base assignment on artist’s style: Invite students to carpet and discuss/ show images of artist(s) – (Lyubov Popova is an artist who employs cubism, which would be great for the non-objective doodle).
Step 2: Answer any questions and remind them to try their best to only draw when they hear “Simon Says” but if they do draw when Simon doesn’t say../ it’s a beautiful oops and students should continue (this is great for classroom management).
Step 3: Pass out paper and say: Let’s begin, “Simon Says, write your name on the bottom, right hand corner of your paper. On the next page choose one of the following: Simon Robot, Wacky Bird, Wacky Animal, or feel free to make your own.
Step 4: If students are doing well and you do not have a set list of prompts, let them take turns being Simon.
Step 5: Artists may continue drawing independently or being coloring their artwork with crayons.
Step 6: Clean up and hand in artwork.
- 9×6 drawing paper
- Draw with sharpie or
- Draw designs with color markers
- Color with crayons
- Students must be familiar with a variety of shapes
- Students must be able to follow directions
Sources: Teachers Pays Teachers
Simon Says DRAW…
- Draw a shape larger than your hand
- Draw one eye big and one eye small inside your large shape
- Draw a wavy line for a mouth
- Draw smooth or pointy teeth touching the wavy line
- Draw shoes on your monster
- Draw arms and fingers on your monster
- Draw a topper on your monster like horns, ears, or a hat
- Draw a pattern on your monster
- Draw a medium shape in the middle of your paper
- Draw wings connected to your shape
- Draw a beak connected to your shape
- Draw tail or tails connected to your shape
- Draw eye or eyes inside your shape
- Draw legs and feet connected to your shape
- Draw the top feathers for your wacky bird
- Draw something around your bird: clouds, leaves, falling candy…
Non Objective Doodle
- Draw three circle
- Draw a long wavy line going through one circle
- Draw a triangle touching a circle
- Draw a loopy line inside the triangle
- Draw a tic-tac-toe board
- Draw five squares big and small
- Draw wacky stars inside a circle
- Draw dots inside a square
- Draw diagonal lines in the background
- Draw some swirls
Wacky Fish with a Tail
- Draw a large oval shape on your paper
- Draw an awesome fin on top of your oval
- Draw different animal tails onto your oval shape
- Draw a fish eye and a mouth
- Draw bubbles floating in the water around your fish
- Give your fish something special like a pattern
- Write the name of your fish in the sand near the bottom of your paper